Carter is an unincorporated community in Forest County.
It was originally a railroad siding known as Carters Siding. The name was changed to Carter in September of 1899, when the Carter Post office was established. According to the September 14, 1899 edition of the Northern Wisconsin Advertiser, the siding “to be known as Carter” was named in honor of E.F. Carter, one of its eldest residents.
- Village of Carter
- Carter’s Siding
- Carter’s Landing (Forest Republican, August 10, 1899)